Praseodymium is a metallic element and is a rare earth metal. The element name is derived from Greek and the original meaning is "green". The unit cell structure is a hexagonal unit cell. Praseodymium is highly resistant to corrosion in the air, but exposure to air produces a layer of brittle green oxide that must be preserved in mineral oil or sealed plastic. One of the uses of praseodymium is for the catalytic cracking of petroleum.
Due to the special structure, the praseodymium can be used not only in the chemical catalytic field such as petrochemical industry but also in the fields of photocatalysis and magnetic catalysis.
- Catalytic oxidation reaction: The hydroxide groups on the oxide surface are generally considered to be key active species in many surfaces and interfacial reactions, primarily because they determine the acidity and catalytic properties of the oxide material. Some researchers have synthesized the rod-shaped praseodymium hydroxide by hydrothermal method and then prepared a praseodymium hydroxide-supported gold catalyst by precipitation method, which is used to catalyze CO oxidation reaction. The results show that the activated praseodymium hydroxide supported gold catalyst shows good catalytic activity.
- Catalytic photocatalytic reaction: Some researchers have successfully prepared a series of Pr3+ doped TiO2 photocatalysts by sol-gel method. DRS spectroscopy confirmed that the doping of Pr3+ enhanced the absorption capacity of the catalyst in the visible region. The results of adsorption experiments show that the doping of Pr3+ significantly increases the adsorption capacity of reactive yellow KE-4RN on the surface of TiO2 catalyst, and the adsorption increases with the increase of doping amount. The results of activity experiments show that the doping of Pr3+ significantly improves the photocatalytic activity of TiO2, and the optimum doping mass fraction is 1.5%.
- The solvent extraction method: Industrially, a solvent extraction method and an ion exchange method are used to separate and purify praseodymium from a mixed rare earth solution obtained by monazite.
- The reduction method: Metal praseodymium can also be prepared by calcium reduction of praseodymium fluoride or chloride. Since the melting point of the praseodymium is low, it can be precipitated on the cathode in a molten state during the electrolysis process, and therefore it is also prepared by electrolysis. It is usually obtained by dehydration of hydrated praseodymium chloride PrCl3·XH2O with metal calcium or by electrolysis of anhydrous praseodymium chloride after melting.
- Barroso M N, Galetti A E, Abello M C.(2011). "Ni catalysts ported over MgAI2O4 modified with Pr for hydrogen up production from ethanol steam reforming". Appl Catal.94 (1-2):124-31
- Zhang Y H, Zhang H X, Xu Y X.(2004). "Significant effect of lanthanide doping on the texture and properties of nanocrystalline mesoporous TiO2". Journal of Solid State Chemistry, 3490-3498.
※ Please kindly note that our services are for research use only.